Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sex scandal continued

OK ... I am going to drop this ... I think ... but one more comment.

I read two pieces on Spitzer in the New York Times. The first brought up the old "politicians are alpha male, risk-taking, thrill seekers" theory to explain Spitzer's behavior. I am skeptical of this theory. Surely there are other ways to seek thrills and such a thing as sublimation. I did, however, agree that these men feel entitled ... in fact, I believe a sense of entitlement is the core problem.

Another piece argued that because Spitzer did a good job in cleaning up Wall Street, we shouldn't judge him so harshly for his private life. However, as a society we do, if only because sexual misconduct is a powerful symbol of ruling class arrogance and self-gratification at the expense of others.

I agree that we should celebrate Spitzer's successes in opposing corporate corruption. I also believe we should applaud Bill Clinton for his achievements in helping to build a strong economy in the 1990s. It's the demonstrated competence of such politicians that makes their sexual contretemps all the more frustrating and disappointing: The self-indulgence undermines the good these people do in other areas. Which makes me ask again wonder why?

No comments: