Thursday, February 26, 2009

Jobs. jobs, jobs

I keep running across the theme of the "better-than-expected job." Shawna's job at McDonald's comes to mind, as does a recent article I read in the New York Times about a freelance writer who took a part-time job in retail sales to keep her "sanity" and ended up loving it more than she imagined. And then there's me, enjoying my college English teaching much beyond expectation.

The recession seems to be a time when people are reevaluating jobs, probably because they have to. I've heard adjunct college teaching touted as a great job (not really, unless you can live without benefits or job security) and plumbing (can't be outsourced to a foreign country) as long you don't mind spending time around the toilet. What about you? Have you or are you working in a job that's surprisingly less odious than you imagined? Are you contemplating such a move? Do you know of people in "unusual" jobs?

No comments: