Monday, May 24, 2010

Knobby Dragon Skin

My cyber-friend The Abbess writes: "It takes Aslan's [the lion who is Jesus] powerful and sharp claws to sink into that thick, knobby dragon skin and peel it away and release our true selves from bondage." The Abbess is alluding to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis and talking about the armor that we develop to protect ourselves from others.

I like The Abbess's images. I can almost physically feel the relief of being freed. This differs from the more ethereal concepts we often use to picture the entrance of Jesus or the Holy Spirit or the Divine into our lives, such as light or living water. Are there other images of the incarnation that you particularly like?

4 comments:

Hystery said...

I like Christ/Logos as Sophia. That's a very intellectually satisfying connection. Still, I like Christ as Aslan best. I combine images of Mary as Goddess with Christ as Lion throughout my home. It turns out this is an incredibly ancient image association with the Great Goddess of the Beasts enthroned with her lions.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Ah! That sounds painful, and really true to life. Yes indeed, quite often the worst pain can end up with the greatest blessing. And of course, just what we need.

Diane said...

Hystery,

This image of Christ is new to me, but powerful.

Ted,

Thanks for dropping in all over. Good to hear from you!

Diane said...

Hystery,

This image of Christ is new to me, but powerful.

Ted,

Thanks for dropping in all over. Good to hear from you!