Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Vocation

"The vocation for you is one in which your deep gladness and the world's need meet--something that not only makes you happy but that the world needs to have done."
Frederick Buechner, from Bill Brent's Web site.

I seem to be blogging more frequently these days about job and vocation, perhaps because of current collapse of the newspaper industry, where for some years I found a career I loved, an outlet for my energies, a home, a way to earn a living and an opportunity to serve. Being at a crossroads now, with only a very slim freelance writing career, I am curious about how other people find vocation. Have others been in the situation of finding a career they loved collapsing? How do you find a new vessel for doing what you are called to? What do you think of Buechner's quote? How do we find that happy marriage of service and joy when our way of doing it suddenly no longer supports us economically?

No comments: