Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Words that have power

I have had some difficulties again posting to my blog, so I am a little behindhand! But here goes:


Third month (March) 29, From "Mind the Heavenly Treasure," a devotional based on the writings of Quakerism's founder, George Fox:

"Walk as children of the light," Ephesians 5:8

"... keep close to the light in you, and do not look forth at words that proceed from a vain and light mind; but at the power of words. For the words of God, that proceed from him, are powerful and mighty in operation."

As I was pondering Fox's words, I received a Quaker Ranter post quoting from Luke:

"But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again ... Give and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom" (I've also read "lap" for bosom)

and

" ... why call ye me, Lord, Lord and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me and heareth my sayings, and doeth them ... He is like a man which built a house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately fell; and the ruin of that house was great."

Are there words today having power for you?

No comments: